Friday, November 20, 2009

The week that was

1. Carrot and lentil dhal with pita bread and garden salad.
2. Salad sandwich with cottage cheese.
3. Weet-bix with sultanas and skim milk.
4. Lamb pita pizza with mint yoghurt.

It has been super hot here this week. Yesterday it got to 44C (111F)! So we have been having lots of salads and icy-cold milk on cereal in the mornings. Thank goodness the cool change has finally arrived.

What has been the highlight in your week of food?

ETA

Carrot and Red Lentil Dhal ( from Healthy Food Guide - October 2009)
Serves 4

500g carrot, grated
500ml vegetable stock
500ml water
1/2 cup red lentils, washed
2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
2 tsp curry powder
low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
pita bread, to serve
green salad, to serve
  1. Spray a saucepan with oil. Over medium heat cook carrot for 10 minutes.
  2. Add stock, water and lentils and simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. Stir in peanut butter and curry powder. Season. Simmer until thickened. Serve with yoghurt and pita bread, with salad or stir fry vegies.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

You ate so light and fresh this week! The heat explanation makes a lot of sense. I keep forgetting that your seasons are not my seasons. :)

the shoppe owner said...

YUM. That all looks so delicious! Things are so cold over here right now. The highlight of my week this week - food-wise - was probably the delicious vegetable soup I had the other afternoon. It's a lot cooler over here (in the 40-60's F) so soup is much more up my alley right now than cool, cripsy salads. But they do look delicious nonetheless!

Enjoy your summer!

Chantel said...

It sure has been bad for you down there! Today is supposed to be 43 here in Sydney. Lucky that I'm inside with aircon.

All yummy stuff you've had this week - what do use as the base for your pizza? Do you put the yoghurt on after cooking?

I didn't really have a food highlight this week - I shall try and have one for you next week ;)

Anonymous said...

Chantel - I just use wholemeal pita bread for the base of the pizza. And yep I drizzle the yoghurt on after cooking - yum!

alissa said...

i cant believe its been so hot there! its really starting to feel wintery here - even a little bit of snow!
highlights in food - i made curry! very exciting haha

drollgirl said...

oh, that is some miserable weather! 111?!?!? ack!!! i hope the cool weather continues!

and that lamb looks ldivine. i had lamb chops the other night and they made me moan they were so good. a hahhahaha. i have been wanting to make eggplant parm, as that is so good and it is finally getting cold here. but i am supposed to be eating healthy, and that would blow the diet all to hell!

Red Boots said...

The carrot dahl looks yum!

It's pretty wet, windy and cold in Scotland so I've been putting chilli flakes in everything to warm us up - hot chocolate with chilli flakes; carrot and corriander soup with chilli flakes; and chocolate orange cookies - with - yup - chilli flakes!! My boyfriend is having to prise the jar of chilli flakes out of my hand!!

Ash said...

I love your meal pics there always so colourful and Healthy!! That pizza looks and sounds amazing!

Kylie G said...

44 degrees - oh my god was it hot!? Therefore the food highlight of my week was an icy pole that arvo :)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmmm dhal is so perfect for cold weather. Looks like a good week :).

Chantel said...

Actually - tell me about the Lentil Dhal - I just looked it up and it looks interesting, like healthy and something I wouldn't normally eat so I'm interested in trying it - can you share your recipe for this too? :)